A few weeks ago I wrote a post about my Ideal Day, so I thought I’d follow up and see how’m I durrin …
1. Sleep 8 hours (11p – 7a). CHECK
2. Play with the dogs CHECK
3. Study for 8h/day. BIG GLARING HOLE. I’m averaging 5 hours/day. Mostly because I get distracted on the internet (such as, now). Right now I’m about 60-70% productive (for every three hours that I sit down and try to study, two hours are actually spent studying and one is spent jerking around).
4. Go to the gym or work out or play sports or take a walk every day. SORTA. I’m doing better about this every since I started running with the dogs and installed the pull-up bar.
5. See my friends or talk to them every day, for at least an hour. SORTA. Yesterday I studied in the library. This is normally a bad idea, but, I was able to be moderately productive and talk to my friends during planned breaks. When it works out, this is the best mix.
6. Get out of the house every day. SORTA. I do this almost every day, but not every day.
7. Clear off my to-do list by the end of the day BIG GLARING FAIL. Uh-oh.
8. Talk to mom every week. CHECK. Really it’s more like every-other day or every day.
9. VISUALIZE SUCCESS. REMEMBER WHY. BIG GLARING FAIL. I have rarely thought about why I want to do well on step one and in medical school in general. I’ll put something up on the board and look at it every morning (at least)
10. Learn something non-medical. Every day. Don’t become a mental amputee. CHECK. With all of the internets that I surf, I also find time to read a non-medical book almost every day.
-STUDY MORE, INTERNET LESS
-VISUALIZE SUCCESS EVERY MORNING
-CLEAR OFF THAT DAMN TO DO LIST
-GET OUT OF THE HOUSE TALK TO FRIENDS AND GYM MORE, BUT AT LEAST KEEP UP WHAT I’M DOING CURRENTLY
-DOING A GOOD JOB WITH: READING NON MEDICAL THINGS, SLEEPING, PLAYING WITH THE DOGS/TRAINING THE DOGS AND TALKING TO MOM.
Basically, I’m prioritizing all of the “least” important things on my list and letting the “most” important things slip. But, not completely slip. So there’s some positive news … I’ll check back in two weeks with another report.